Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Bertha meets great Grandma Hammer

On Saturday, we attended an auction in Seymour, Iowa. It was the estate of Larry's, a blacksmith and wood worker who passed unexpectedly last year. 

Larry’s two sons, grandchildren, even a great grandson were in attendance. I knew family would be bidding. I thought my chances were slim to pick up one of the 2 things I had my eye on.

As usual, the hubby and I discussed what we were willing to pay for items before the bidding started.

The sewing box full of thread, I let it go to Sarah, an Amish woman. I met her at Larry’s celebration of life a couple weeks back. She too is a quilter. It went for $12, my price I was willing to pay was $10. Most of it was wooden spools of thread, way too old to be using. I was just going to put the thread in my antique spool cabinet.



Meet Bertha, as the blacksmith named her! She was made by the Brooklyn, New York Dress form company. That business was started in 1908.

So, we won the bid, I think it started at $40, and there were no takers. In the end hubby was the only bidder and won it for $12.50.


The base is so cool! I don’t think I’ll do any restoration work on it. The patina is marvelous!



I moved her in and immediately went to my trunk of old things. I found my great Grandmother’s fancy apron. Mary Parks Hammer was born in 1868. The apron was given to me by my grandmother in the early 70’s. She told me it was her party apron. Notice there was no ribbon on the neck. Grandma said it was pinned to her dress with tiny gold safety pins.

Great grandma died in 1938 at only 70 years of age.

 


A bonus bonnet was stuffed in Bertha’s pocket. 


Plus, Bertha was wearing a Columbia hat. These are sold at Bass Pro for about $30!

It was a beautiful day in the country. It was nice visiting with the Lutz families, and watching Larry’s oldest great grandson, Payton buy his blacksmith items. After all the young man has also purchased the timber-framed house Larry built!

A special thank you to Jeff and Sandy for our stay at their place. The grilled beef steaks and fresh garden peas with creamed potatoes and the warm peach pie were fabulous! Plus she loaded us up to go home, fresh eggs and zucchini and then those canned beets! 

God is good.

1 comment:

Janna and Mike said...

I love Bertha! I too have a dress form but a way more modern one! How cool to be able to dress your Bertha in your great grandmother's attire!