Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Another sewing machine!

As I last mentioned in October, I had no intentions of getting another Singer sewing machine. I was on the wagon!  That is until I got a message from my friend Pattie in North Carolina (a 10 hour drive away), 


. . . asking me if I wanted this machine!  The price was right, F-R-E-E.  Of course I jumped at it. 

Now, just how to get it back to Missouri?  It then dawned on me, we had a blacksmith friend that was going that way in a week to take a class at John C. Campbell Folk school. 

So I jumped into action and called my friend Kathy who lives in Brasstown. I asked her if Pattie could drop the machine at her house, so that Missouri  Bob could pick it up there.

Yes, all the stars lined up.

October 27th, after dropping our daughter and her family off at the St Louis airport, we took a little detour  to DeSoto Missouri. Bob had this waiting for me. 




This is what it looks like after a day with me and my best friend, denatured  alcohol, working together. 



Beautiful!!!



I love the fact that it's a hand crank. It's a 15-K model made in 1904. There were 2500 of them made that year between January and June.



The decals are called Sphinx.  Between the Singer and the Sphinx you can see some flaking. I believe this was done when the lady that used it all the time, had probably a piece of fabric wrapped around there, and that was her pin cushion.  What a "no-no"!

So there is now my 15th machine!

Last but not least one more machine I received F-R-E-E

My brother in law Pat, who is a faithful reader of my blog, gave this to me. He found it when deer hunting last week. It came home and was set on my kitchen island.  About an hour later I went in the kitchen to find ANTS, crawling all over my cabinet!!!

So until I can get it cleaned up, it's in the garage in time out.

I did turn down the following machine. It was in pretty rough shape. It's a Willcox and Gibbs, just like the one I bought at Goodwill for $30. However this one came with it's original stand, which is a killer!! 

She is asking $75 for it. It was her Grandmother's machine.

The cabinet had too much peeling veneer, the metal stand was rusted, the top plate was so rusted you couldn't read the writing on it. It had a drawer full of attachments, even a box of the hard to find needles. The book was there, but in many pieces. Both the keys, one for the drawer and one for the cabinet were there too. 





I will always dream of the stand!

10 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

I am totally jealous you have a hand crank machine - I've been searching for one forever! Sigh. blessings, marlene

JerryC said...

Though I'm a man and haven't sewn much of anything, I love seeing examples of American engineering and manufacturing such as these. To think of all the people that made a living building these machines, which would one day be considered collectable. Also like your refurbishing job. Looks great.

Down On The Farm said...

I don't sew, but certainly appreciate the craftsmanship and the beauty of something old. Good for you!!! Fifteen and counting . . . . . . . .

Janna and Mike said...

Another sewing machine?? I am teaching my yoga friends how to make a Christmas tree rag quilt and they were amazed at the number of working sewing machines I have and I ONLY have SIX!!

Anonymous said...

Truly the "stars lined up" beginning with the initial free offer!!! She's gorgeous!!! That last one looks so much to be an "arched back kitty"...just saying....lol!

kathyinozarks said...

awesome

Terry said...

I love the singer you got. I have an old one I've not attempted to clean up yet. How do you use the denatured alcohol on it?

Flat Creek Farm said...

Another Beauty! Numbers are sure racking up, OBQ. That tiny machine is awful cute, but no thanks on the ANTS.. we have enough mean critters around here :) -Tammy

Deanna said...

I love your "new" machine. It's no wonder that you jumped on it. Now the little pink one....

jerilanders said...

That machine is a STUNNER! I love the hand crank, such gorgeous decals, I want one too. I JUST KNEW you would have an answer to my sewing machine question, thank you friend. Merry, Jolly and Happy Christmas for we in the hollow, Jeri