Friday, April 27, 2012

Stock the shelves

I've been a little under the weather the past two weeks.  But yesterday I got my butt in gear and got busy. The blacksmith and I canned soup.  I know it's summer and soup is good in the winter.  But it can also be  a quick meal when you're sitting in the AC. 

The neighbor son gave us two big beef roasts.  So we made vegetable barley soup.  We canned 7 quarts and 7 pints from two roasts. 

We picked up two fresh chickens at the butcher shop.  I saved a few pieces to fry for dinner and the rest went into chicken stock soup.  From those two chickens, that cost $14, we got one meal of fried chicken and 8 pints of soup. That's not bad at $1.56 a meal, plus a few carrots, celery and onions. 



Soup. It's what's for dinner



Before I sign off, I just have to show you what that redneck neighbor  son was up to last night.  He pulled our trailer home using his four wheeler. Not to mention it was loaded with chairs he was returning. 

10 comments:

Barb said...

Sometimes it just takes a little push to get us going....your soup looks wonderful!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Hi, haven't been by in a while, hmm, don't know why . . . hope you're feeling yourself soon!

Your soup looks delicious! I've never canned anything with meat, what the process? Do you use a pressure canner or a hot water bath? I'd be very interested in your recipe. Personally, I think soup is good anytime of the year!

Have a lovely weekend!

Mary

Doreen said...

My DH is most often seen with a set-up like your son's!! The ATV is a huge 'work horse' around here...mostly hauling cut up wood!!!! Lovely place. Soup looks terrific, also! Hope you are on the mend!!! Hugs, Doreen

Prairie Cat said...

Yum! Canning soup is definitely on my to-do list this year.

Deanna said...

I love soup and would eat it for every meal if Jim would put up with it. Yum!

Your redneck nei, I mean son, learned his redneck ways from someone... I wonder who!

GerryART said...

Deanna [above] has an interesting take on the situation, and has be thinking about this :^)
Soup sounds great !
hugs

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love canning soup too Patti - and chili as well. Last night we had turnip kraut and wienies for supper. My husband loved, loved, loved the kraut...and I'm not kidding. He wanted to know why I didn't make it. I suggested he learn how. :) blessings, marlene

Anonymous said...

Deanna, What's that saying about the nut falling from the tree? ;-)




JT

Down On The Farm said...

I'd love it if you would post the recipe for your canned soups!

Deanna said...

Glad you directed me back here, Patti. All I can think is the nut doesn't have to fall very far at all now. The squirrels should be having a good time up your way ;)