Monday, September 24, 2012

Our flea market buys

As promised here are my buys from my trip to Ohio last week. 

 I found this Noah's Ark crock for $8. Lord knows I have enough Noah's Ark things

 This noodle rolling pin is in awesome shape. It too was $8.00.


Now for the bargain of the day!

I had walked to the flea market and found two cast iron #12 skillets. One was a Wagner for $70, and the other was this Piqua for $50.  I couldn't get the blacksmith to answer his phone, and I didn't want to buy without his approval. 

So I walked back to the conference and got him to walk back with me. We had never heard of Piqua brand, but it was in perfect shape, light weight and cheaper. The blacksmith asked the dealer if $50 was firm and he halfway nodded his head yes. Hubby then said to me, that it was up to me, do what ever I wanted. I kept looking the skillet over and finally I asked the dealer, "Would you take $45?" He thought a minute and slowly said, "it's yours". 

We walked away with a smile on our face. 


It's one big skillet! 

Later in the day I called Sarah and asked her to look on EBay for the same style. She found one almost immediately (plus others). She said it was up to $120, had 17 bidders, and another day before the auction ended. 

When we arrived home Sunday night, I immediately went to the computer. The skillet had just a few minutes before it ended. With 20 bidders, it sold for $173.45!!!!!  Did I say it's identical to ours!  H-A-P-P-Y   D-A-N-C-E.


This morning we woke up to a chilly room. Tonight I have to decide which of my quilts I should put on our bed. Oh such a hard decision!

Life is good! 


10 comments:

Dora, the Quilter said...

Congratulations on your wonderful finds.--Especially that skillet.
Hmmmm....maybe you could use a different quilt every night?

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Great finds! I love the skillet and am very envious.

Looks like you have a quilt for every day of the month! Did you make them all?

Diana LaMarre said...

Great buy!

Oh, my goodness, just look at all those quilts and that wonderful wardrobe to store them in. I am so envious!

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a great deal on the skillet Patti - I'm jealous. :) It's not quite cold enough yet at home for quilts but I'm hoping soon. It sure was in Colorado while we were there - down to 32 a couple of nights. blessings, marlene

Anke said...

You got a great deal on that skillet!! What a find!
Your wardrobe with all the beautiful quilts in it is wonderful.

Down On The Farm said...

You did get a great deal on the skillets. I love cast iron too. And all those quilts. HOW BEAUTIFUL!!!

Deanna said...

Life is definitely. So you finally got your #12... what a bargain! I'd be doing the happy dance too. You have such beautiful quilts.

Deanna

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

You'd think as much as I love to cook, I would have some cast iron. I've never been able to get a skillet seasoned well enough to keep everythng from sticking. I fail. :(

I do know how to use that noodle pin, though. $8 for one that size sounds like a great deal.

Lise said...

I love the stoneware! We have some from Luxembourg and it is priceless to me! I also love your pan...I've never heard of Piqua but now I know! Where is the marking, I can't see that...suggestions as to what to look for in trying to identify it (for my own future purchase I mean). And woah on those quilts! Such a selection, you could pick the theme of the week and change them all the time! Did you make all those?

jerilanders said...

What a great rolling pin, and a fabulous choice of quilts... and all YOURS!