Sunday, November 25, 2012

More auction goodies

Crawling out of bed at 7:30 for an auction didn't seem like a good thing this morning. But after we arrived there shortly before 8:30, I knew it might be worth our time. 

It's always a social thing, time to see old friends. Of course people watching can be fun too, good most of the time. 


Today I found this 8 gallon Buckeye crock. The Buckeye pottery company was in business in Ohio from 1882 until 1938.  What a steal for $37.50!  It will hold plenty of turnip kraut next time. By the way, we canned 23 pints yesterday. 

Currently E-Bay lists these Buckeye crocks; a 6 gallon for $99, an 8 gallon for $499 (slightly different from ours) and a 10 gallon for $242.  I'm pretty proud of mine!



I also grabbed this 1953 Landwehr Dairy calendar. I have several things from this local dairy. My mother worked there in the late 50's. It's a shame this wasn't a year older, then it would have been the same age as me!


This vintage aluminum dish pan with handles was only one dollar. It will be great to take to the garden to put vegetables in. 

I did give up on a Singer Featherweight machine after $225, of course another $10 and the other bidder bought it. 

Another great day in the country.

Life is good!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the treasures you find!!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

One of these days I'm going to be there when there's a good auction - I look every time I go. :) blessings, marlene

Dar said...

It's been a long time since I've been to an auction. I love your crock. What a great find and fantastic price. I would have bid you up~~~lol. The only kind of kraut we've ever made has been with cabbage. Is yours more mild in flavor? Sounds so interesting.
BlessYa

Marge said...

Love your auction finds. I just don't have the space to shop much anymore. That crock would have tempted me. We do have a couple of Red Wing pieces. And I like the dish pan with the handles! My grandmother had that one back in the day.

Hope your holidays are filled with love, family and food!

Anonymous said...

Auctions used to be the grand opportunity to catch up with the neighbors but now even here they have gone 'high tech' with in person viewing available then bids on-line only....ugh!!! Haven't been to an auction in years!! Glad to hear that the "real" kind still exist!! Hugs, D

Deanna said...

That crock is an amazing buy! The minute I saw the calendar I thought, dang, why couldn't it have been a year older! Great minds think alike. It has been so long since I've been to an auction. We need to really consider going to one soon.

Diana LaMarre said...

turnip kraut? Never heard of that--I am sure it's delish. Does it taste different than cabbage kraut? You certainly have a lovely crock to make it in.

Lise said...

Love the Buckeye crock! Turnip kraut? Do tell... :)

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Love the old crock, what a find! Haven't been to a good sale in a while. All the good ones must be in your area. :) Stay warm, it's getting colder!