Thursday, November 1, 2012

The last days of our vacation in Eureka Springs



On the second night in Eureka Springs we bought tickets from our camp host to see the Pine Mountain Theater. It was a nice show.  A little too electrified for us. However when the hammer dulcimer came out I was pleased. It is one of my most favorite instruments. 

Their "current day Village People" rendition of Y.M.C.A. turned into A.A.R.P.  It was too funny!

The third night we went to see the "other music show" in town. It was a big disappointment. It was way too loud, no banjo, no hammer dulcimer, no free popcorn, and way too much slap stick comedy in goofy costumes. 


On Wednesday,we drove to Blue Springs Heritage Center. Due to the extreme drought this summer, water levels were down. Admission price was reduced due to the on going construction there.  


The flowers were at the end of their season, but there were still various colors showing. 

Notice all the Boston ferns?


This is believed to be the oldest inhabited area in Arkansas and sets above the springs.



This is Beaver Lake where the levels were also extremely low. One gate opened as we were viewing. However it stayed open just a very few minutes. 



This is White river below the dam.

We celebrated the blacksmith's first Social Security check at Local Flavor Restaurant.  

I had the avocado, cheddar, and caramelized onion sandwich on honey wheat bread. It was delicious!!!

Speaking of food, sorry SIL Rusty  (he hates food pics). We stopped at Lambert's Cafe on our way home. Fried okra was served on paper towels while we waited for our lunch. 

I ordered fried chicken livers. I know some of you are grossed out now! 


Lambert's are known for their thrown hot dinner rolls. They are served with honey or sorghum!  So good!

We passed this sweet lady heading out of Springfield, Missouri. She gave us thumbs up when she passed us! Her license plate was Nonny 7. It always makes my day when we see another Casita going down the road.

It was a great trip with beautiful weather and a nice way to get some R & R.

10 comments:

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

I love both food pics and chicken livers! Yum!

We've still not eaten at Lambert's. We've heard the wait is horrible. :(

Anonymous said...

There isn't a food posted that I don't love!!! That last restaurant was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives a while back...remember the roll throwing! Fried okra....yum! The photos are lovely and sad (that the water levels have been so low! Serious business!!). Congrats on the first SS check...I do remember mine....another "milestone"!!

Anke said...

Not grossed out at all - I LOVE chicken livers!

Missouri Gal said...

I love Eureka Springs. I hope I can get down there this year with my hubby.

Lise said...

I've enjoyed traveling with you! I'm glad you've had some good R&R...traveling with your Casita and getting away from the 'old grind' has a way of renewing the spirit, yes? Happy travels to you! Welcome home when you get there...:)

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time! Loved the "Social Security" celebration! LOL!!!!

Deanna said...

No grossing out here. I love chicken livers! Nobody leaves Lamberts hungry, now do they? When we were in ES, the theatres weren't even open. I'm a big fan of the hammer dulcimer too. Almost as much as I am of the mandolin. It sounds like a wonderful trip!

Oh, and happy SS check to BT!

Flat Creek Farm said...

Another vote for chicken livers! Yum! Congrats to BT on that 1st SS check :) Nice trip, great pics and narrative.. as always ♥ -Tammy

Val said...

Wow. I loved seeing your trip. I have a lot of catching up to do. By the way, that sandwich of yours sounds great to me!!! I would like to try that at home! And I LOVE chicken livers too. I am not a big meat eater but do love those!!!! I think we would get along great!!!

Diana LaMarre said...

Congratulations to BT on the first SS check! My husband is already counting the days. He will get his in February.

The sandwich sounds so different. I think I would like it.