Sunday, August 4, 2013

Life is Good!

It's really a 7 letter word. Let me spell it for you . . . R-E-T-I-R-E-D

Yes that's what I am now.  

For 24 years I worked part time for the local electric cooperative. It was the best of two worlds for me, being able to stay with my children when they were younger and work too. For the first 4 or 5 years we lived one mile from the office. After that is was a six  mile drive.

My children were in 2nd and 8th grade when I started.  Now my oldest grandchildren are almost at that age. 

I worked with some of the best guys (i.e. linemen) you could ask for.  To many of them, I was old enough to be their mother.  Some felt I was it seemed, as they were always asking me to patch jeans, gloves, tool bags, pillows, curtains, and lord knows what else.   I made their babies' quilts. They in turned warmed my car in the winter, parked it inside during hail storms, trimmed my trees,restored my electric during terrible storms, and  gave me mulch.  One of the best things was our lunch conversations.  Never a dull moment.  I will miss those guys.

There were the inside office people too.  Those that I traded garden produce with, exchanged recipes with, baked birthday cakes for, had their kids over for sleep overs and 4 wheeler rides, and comforted each other when we lost parents and siblings, even losing co-workers (miss you Big Frank). 

I was treated to a dinner last Wednesday evening by the group from my branch office.  We went out for dinner and drinks at a Mexican restaurant. 







I also delivered one last baby quilt. 

At the dinner, I was presented with a card that contained a very nice monetary gift. 

Friday was my very last day at work. It happened to be our Annual meeting day. A day when all employees work very hard.  There are members to register, feed, entertain, and seat for a business meeting. 

So for my very last day, I got HIGH!




After that thrilling ride we all gathered for a nice toasting for me.  Then I was presented another card with another very nice monetary gift from the main office employees

My son in law will be glad to hear that I just might use it to replace my 17 year old big screen TV!



Now that I am retired I even have the T-shirt to say Life is Good!  Thank you Margie and Phil for the sweet retirement gift.


Life Is Good!!!!!!!!!

10 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

I envy you! I CANNOT WAIT TO GET OUT OF THE WORK FORCE!!

I loved the pic of you getting high!

It sounds like you have a wonderful group of people you worked with!

Congrats and I hope you LOVE every second of retirement!


~Laurie~ said...

Now you can be busier than ever! That's what I hear about retirement!! Hope you enjoy every minute of it :)

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! FOR SURE!! Laurie 'hit it on the head'......you definitely will wonder how you had any time for the (part time) job. I have been retired for over 2 years.....busier than ever doing all those things that I would plan (at mid-morning at work) to do after work, only to get home and have lost the energy/motivation to do them. My calendar is more full than it ever was (cuz I had to work, so no such fun plans!)! Quilting, traveling, being with family and friends and the days will fly even faster! Blessings and cherish every second! Hugs, Doreen

Marge said...

It's been 6 years already for me! And I have loved it! Congratulations on your retirement. Have fun!

Lindah said...

Congratulations! Fun days ahead, for sure. And, gulp, that was some ride!

Lise said...

I know this is a great day for you, CONGRATULATIONS! Life is good indeed, and now the world is your oyster :) Enjoy every second!!! I'm so happy for you my friend

GerryART said...

Congrats on your Retirement, Patti

Now you truly stay busy

Hugs

Carla K said...

The best is yet to come, congratulations!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I know they will miss you very much : ) And I hope retirement brings you to Brasstown more often : )

Flat Creek Farm said...

I enjoyed reading this so much! I've been at my part-time job almost as long. Maybe I should retire too.. lol.. only if I get all the good stuff you did! :D This was really nice, and the getting high pic was the best! Congratulations!! -Tammy