Thursday, January 17, 2008

Linemen's Gloves

Today we woke up to freezing temperatures outside, it had dropped from 34 to 26 in 30 minutes. Roads were freezing up fast with the little moisture that accumulated last night. BT saw three wrecks in less then 4 miles. Thank goodness he got to work safely and called me from there.

My mission was to scrub the kitchen, mudroom and down stairs bathroom and then sew until I had to go to work at 12:30. I got a phone call from an old friend that I hadn't talked to in months. 45 minutes later, I was scrubbing. It cut into my sewing time, but I still enjoyed the humming of the machine.

In fact I used the old Nechhi machine in the basement. It was a gift to me from my mother in 1966. It still did just what I needed. One of the linemen had me do some sewing on a new pair of gloves he got. The gloves had long cuffs which he didn't like so he cut them off and asked if I could bind the edges. Day before yesterday I took care of the first pair, when I returned them he asked if I would mine doing another pair.

Linemen at my office are notorious for teasing. I just had to give them some fuel for their fire. So after I hemmed the edges together today, I searched my scraps for a nice piece of dainty lace to finish the edges off for him.




Aren't they cute?
He will take a lot of ribbing over these! I put the lace on with big basting stitches because I know he will give them one big tug.

I made it to work ahead of schedule. It was decided to wait until tomorrow to give the gloves to Matt, that is until all the co-workers are present. I will keep you posted on the show.

Yesterday I bought this cabinet off of craigslist! (Thanks Cousin Mindy for the introduction).We will pick it up Saturday if it's not raining. (Forecast is a low of 7 degrees for Saturday, so it maybe snowing or sleeting, but I don't think rain is a possibility.) Pretty neat isn't it? It still has the original wavy glass in the doors, along with casters on the bottom.







Today I sold this one and will put the new one in it's place.






7:36 PM 24 degrees.

2 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

Beautiful cabinet, Patti. It will be nice to be able to see your pottery. I like the old pie safe, too. Will you be sorry to see it go?

I hope you post the recipe for your 9-inch carrot cake. It's the perfect size for me with only two people in the household.

I'd also love to see your finished horse guilt.

Diana LaMarre said...

forgot to say how cute the gloves are. I bet he won't be bringing you anymore to bind! :)