Monday, February 8, 2016

My dear Patti quilt.

It's been a long time coming. According to my blog, I was sewing blocks for this in 2008. I finally finished piecing it in 2012. It was then put into the "quilt" cabinet and forgotten about. That is until several months ago, August I think, to be exact. I then put it into my frame to hand quilt. Although I had several offers to help, I wanted this to be just my quilt. 

There is a famous quilt named Dear Jane. It was completed in 1863 by Jane Stickle. You can read all about it here.

I decided I wanted to use up some of my scraps so I made my version. It was so much fun to make. It is 221 four inch blocks. Most all of them are paper pieced. A lot of the patterns came from books by Carol Doak. I love her patterns. It was just as much fun to quilt. Every block was different. So if I didn't like quilting the one I was on, I knew the next one would be different. 


Most of the time when I finished a particular block, I'd post it on Instagram or Facebook with a little caption. I had so many followers. They were always encouraging me to stitch on.

I won't share all 221 with you but let me show you a few. the comments under them are what I would post on Instagram.







This one is could possibly be my favorite block. The red print on the outside came out of my great grand father Ben Hammer's general store in Stanton, Missouri. 

No the fabric wasn't rotten, in fact it was in excellent shape. The fabric was vintage 36 inches wide. 
 "What was I thinking? "

You can tell this wind blown girl was in Missouri today!

Quilted on November 15,
 Just finished this heart. Today my heart goes out to those that lost their lives in Paris. 


Oh my gosh, look at the next block I get to do! 

A traditional old block with bright modern fabrics.

MEOW  someone's trapped. 

Garfield is saying @mccranies needs to come home to collect her Garfield lamp, Garfield alarm clock, stuffed Garfields and much more from the closet!

Let the good times roll!




Roll on ~ ~ ~ time for the next roll of blocks!

It's not smooth sailing tonight, it's been two weeks since I've hand quilted. Stiff, cold, clumsy fingers! 


My thread catcher matches!








Embroidery work by my friend Peggy, so I put it in a block.


Not only do I have a 4 inch block in the quilt, but I had made a 
quilt charm
 using the same fabrics.

Day before Thanksgiving, I really should be making pies, but this is so much more fun!


A quarter for reference.


21 pieces in this 4 inch square

 This flower pot fell over so I quilted it that way! 

Elephant charged with QWI. (Quilting while intoxicated)


That is just a light touching on all the blocks. If you encouraged me along, I thank you. It was so much fun making this quilt.

Patti


8 comments:

Janna and Mike said...

A work of art--absolutely gorgeous!

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning a quilt to be proud of-hugs

Down On The Farm said...

That quilt is just beyond beautiful!!! I have 2 questions. #1, will you actually put that quilt on a bed or will you hang it and display at at your house? #2 . . . I hate to ask, but as I am not a quilter what does "paper pieced" mean? You are SOOOOOOOOO talented!!!

KatyTrailCreations said...

Ummm. A state fair entry is needed ma'am. With your story attached. Just my opinion but I bet I could get a lot of voters agreed :)

Cheryl @ TFD said...

It's beautiful, Patti! I wish I were a quilter, but I'd never be able to manage those tiny, perfect stitches like you do. Plus it would take me years just to get one quilt done. lol! You are a master quilter!

Flat Creek Farm said...

I enjoyed following along on this BEAUTIFUL quilt, my Dear Patti. I know I missed several posts, but getting to see the real deal (although then it wasn't quilted yet.. still gorgeous).. was truly amazing. Love it, love it. So many stitches, so many memories! -t

Lise said...

I hope to see this beauty in person some day. An amazing Patti quilt! Congratulations my friend :)

Unknown said...

Love it!!!!