Saturday, January 23, 2010

Still sewing that vintage fabric


This is how I start my blocks. I draw out my pattern, and try to fit as many as possible onto a sheet of paper. I take it to my scanner and hit copy. That is after I put a piece of tracing paper in my printer. It saves me from a lot of drawing.

I buy the tracing paper in the art department. Buy the kids stuff, not the expensive art paper. Most the time I use a 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby.



Today as I was cutting into my vintage red fabric I saw this sticker. How funny, this piece at one time contained 33 yards. I never had the entire piece. However I still have about 6 yards left of it.




Here is what it looks like as I sew. You sew, flip, and iron. That's why it's helpful to have your ironing board low. I put it at my chair height.













So I remembered today something I had stashed in the attic. It is a Measuregraph. I used one similiar to this at the TG&Y five and dime store that I worked in.

How retro! Measuregraph is still in business too. If you would like to have this neat tool let me know. The first $40 and it's yours!








I even found this pull out chart on it. Too cool!





In those days, you pulled the fabric through the slot. It measured the fabric on the top. When you came to the desired amount, you push the blade down. It made a small slash in the fabric. You then ripped the entire piece off.

That would never happen today. Probably because there is not much 100% cotton fabric around. Most of it contains some polyester.




This shows some of the 25 blocks I finished today. Only about 50 more to go!









Nancy, here's your block. You like it?



I see more sewing in my future.





6 comments:

Janet said...

I had forgotten about those measuregraphs! But seems like most every place that sold fabric used those. And it wasn't that long ago either! (or at least it doesn't seem that way!) Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Jackie said...

I love that measuregraph...since I don't know how to quilt...I think it would look neat displayed somewhere. Enjoy your Sunday...seems like a nice day to do some quilting.

Jackie

Terry said...

I remember those measuring things!! I had forgotten all about them until you mentioned yours! LOL

Anonymous said...

The quilt is going to be so cool. Sure glad I checked in to see what you've been up to. I went to one of the coolest fabric stores last week. It was called Bearly Stichin sewing center in Goodyear, AZ. I thought of you as I looked at the numerous breathtaking quilts hanging up all over. The fabric was totally cool. They have a website - www.bearlystitchin.com You should check it out.

Diana LaMarre said...

I don't remember those measuregraphs--I guess I never paid attention. I still rip my fabric all the time. It is the easiest way to get a long piece exactly straight. I only buy 100% cotton so it still works for me.

I iron after every paper pieced section, too. I chain piece 4 - 8 blocks at a time, then get up and iron. Maybe I should lower my board like you do. It would save all those ups and downs..But then it's about all the exercise I get these days. ;)

Helen said...

Ohmygosh!!! I had forgotten about the measuregraph!!! What a flashback!

Thanks for jogging my memory!