Thursday, June 23, 2011

Things to share and some NOT to share

I like to think of myself a person who is very willing to share.  “Sharing” can actually mean giving something as an outright gift: for example, to “share” one's food really means to give some of it as a gift.

So let me share with you this old favorite cookbook of mine. It's copyrighted 1977, the birth year of my first born son. It's a book I haven't used in quite a few years. With busy lives, little kids and a job it was hard to always keep the sour dough starter going, let alone to find time to bake breads.


But life sometimes slows down and I thought it was time to make another starter, and so I did Sunday night. Last night while scanning the book for my first new recipe I found sour dough pancakes.



This is what they looked like this morning. They are so light and fluffy, melt in your mouth goodness. You will forget all about the real butter you have slathered on them, or the maple syrup.


Sourdough Cherry Rose Rolls

This recipe from page 61 might just be my next favorite. I remember making these over 30 years ago and they were delicious.

Back to sharing.


Lizzie wanted to share her "Pink Lizzy" with Bentley but there just wasn't room.


I even shared my bucket of water with her today, between transplanting some grass. 



She then wandered (okay we took her back there) to the raspberries. The wild raspberries are almost  finished, but still we found a few. As much as I love these myself, I shared.


 And a few more I shared with her.


Now to things I really didn't want to share.

Gallbladder issues.

Did you know gallbladder disease is hereditary?  Well that is what they told the newlywed.  Yes, the daughter inherited gallstones from her mother. Me, I gave it to her!

So tomorrow at 9 AM, she is having surgery. Not something a young bride needs just 3 1/2 months into her marriage. But I have no fear the new son in law will take great care of her.

Now let me share my recipe for Whiskey slush with you, because tomorrow might be a stressful day for this mother living 352 miles away from the surgery center.



Whiskey slush

12 oz frozen lemonade
6 oz frozen Orange juice
1 cup sugar
6 cups water
2 cups prepared tea (I used 2 cups water and 3 tea bags)
1 1/2 cups bourbon

Mix all together in a large plastic container. 
Place in freezer, stir about every 6 to 12 hours for the first day or two.

Serve with spoon and add a little bit of white soda.

Or spoon it straight into your mouth if the need be! 



10 comments:

Nancy said...

So sorry she is so far away...luckily we have cell phones so you can keep in touch..
Good luck to all in am..

Diana LaMarre said...

So sorry to hear about your daughter needing surgery. I will be thinking of you today. I am sure everything will go well.

That slush sounds like a great thing to keep in the freezer for hot summer evenings on the deck.

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

Little Miss E, as always, is darling and I love her pink ride! Dang I am sorry your daughter is having gallbladder surgery but it will all be gone and no more worries and pain. Sending healing vibes!

Yep, it is rumbling around here!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hope your daughter's surgery goes well. I'm sure she's in good hands. Your little Lizzie is adorable. She's smart, too, and knows the bucket of water is the place to be when its hot!

Marge said...

Hope the surgery goes well. Please let us know! And your pictures of sweet Lizzie make me yearn for a little one.....our youngest grandbaby is almost eight! But with a married granddaughter, we will probably have to wait for a great!

Blessings.

Deanna said...

Hopefully Sara's surgery went well today. Somethings we just can't help sharing - even when we don't want to.

I love to bake, but avoid it for obvious reasons. Maybe I need to just start baking again and give it all away.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

ooh, please pass me one of those.

My friend just had gall bladder surgery. In and out in a few hours, and she was back in the barn by nightfall. Crazy, she is, but she felt that good after.

Carla said...

Prayers for a speedy recovery and hope that all went well. Lizzie is as always adorable, know that you all enjoy every minute with her and the boys.

Flat Creek Farm said...

How is she doing today? Hopefully ok. It's tough having them far away, but in times like this one.. even harder. I know PW aced his surgery, but seemed to cause him problems on down the line post-surgery.

Lots of good food and some good sounding drink in this post. I'm getting ready to make some frozen strawberry/mixed fruit daiquiris. Mmm MMm good (I hope). Cheers! -Tammy

Rita said...

We'll be thinking of both of you! Hope all goes well.