Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dinner tonight

Candied green beans, fried turnips and smothered pork loin.


My friend Tammy at
Flat Creek Farm was telling me how to fry turnips. Today on PBS I saw the Lidia's Italy show. She had a guest cook from Arkansas cooking with her. They made skillet fried turnips.

Here's the recipe the best I could copy.

Saute about 4 slices of diced bacon until crisp.
Add 1 clove of garlic and 1/2 of an onion, chopped.
Add 5 to 6 medium diced turnips and 1 diced potato.
Continue to fry for 5 to 10 minutes.
In a small bowl mix 2 teaspoons sugar, 2 Tablespoons water and 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar.
Add to skillet to de-glaze.
Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.

These were really good!

As for the candied green beans, here is what I did. The recipe is my own version.

Dice 3 slices of bacon and fry until crisp.
In a casserole dish add 1 can partially drained green beans.
Pour the bacon and some of the fat over the beans.
Add about 1/2 cup brown sugar.
Mix and bake 1 hour at 350.

Okay so we had a little pork fat for dinner. But gosh was it good!

After dinner, it was time to make the turnip kraut. We filled a 6 gallon and a 3 gallon crock. It will take about 2 weeks to sour before it can be canned.

Okay I know this blog originally started as a quilting blog, and believe me it will return to that. However, sometime food gets in the way.

I did some sewing today. I'm still working on two small quilts. My printer is out of ink, and I need that to make some paper piece patterns. Hopefully the snail mail tomorrow will deliver the cartridges I ordered.

The weather was beautiful. I washed some windows in between sewing.

Time to rest now.

6 comments:

Flat Creek Farm said...

Gee, and I thought *I* invented fried turnips.. LOL! The PBS recipe sounds very good (bacon makes all things better). I originally came up with my version as a diet recipe when I was hungry for fried potatoes while on weight watchers or.. something. And we both liked it, so we have it every turnip season now :)

Your whole meal sounds terrific, and what a busy day you had!! -Tammy

Mama Elle said...

That looks DIVINE! I'm definitely saving this recipe :)

Anonymous said...

I really wasn't hungry or so I thought when I came home after class and had a bowl of cereal. After seeing what you ate I may come and raid the leftovers out of your refrigerator. I just don't know if I'm going to be satisfied until breakfast now. It looked that good.
I already put turnips on my grocery list. Thanks for the recipes.

Unknown said...

fried turnips sound delicious! i'll have to try them! the whole meal looks tasty!

Tipper said...

Fried turnips-well I never. I'm going to have to try this recipe out! Thank you for making sure I seen it. Can't wait to tell Pap and Granny-I've already told everybody I know about your turnip kraut : )

Your canned fish looks so good-wish we lived close enough to share!

Sara said...

Please don't be surprised if I ever travel cross country and show up unannounced at dinner time.

You're killin' me! Yummmmmm!