Sunday, November 1, 2009

The end of the season


Today the weather was gorgeous. It did not rain! That in itself is great. (October had 22 days of rain, totaling over 12.33 inches)The temperatures were in the low 60's most all day.

Today was bittersweet, because boating season has come to an end. Soon the snow will fly and that is not the time to go boating on the Osage River.

So BT and I took the boat about a half mile from the house to the public boat ramp. It was the site for the St Thomas Ferry prior to 1964.

The boat was backed just barely into the water and turned on. After the engine warmed up a product called stabil was mixed into the gas. This prevents problems from the gas sitting over the winter.



While I was waiting for the winterizing to be finished, I spied bittersweet in the trees. BT and I went to survey the vine. We quickly realized it was way to high in the tree for us to collect.






The rest of the day was spent around the house. I washed a couple of loads of clothes. We played with 2 of the grand kids. The third one was deer hunting, youth season opened this weekend. One jeep was washed.

About 2 o'clock, BT grilled some deork burgers. In case you don't know what that is, it's ground deer and ground pork mixed together. It beats beef hamburgers anytime.

About 5, just as we were ready to retire to the recliners, the neighbor called. He had turnips ready for us to dig. After all it's about time to make the turnip kraut again.

And how do you clean a bushel of muddy turnips? Why the power washer of course!

Time to crash now, this time change has us exhausted.

9:51 PM 59 degrees

4 comments:

Unknown said...

deork burgers and turnip kraut sounds quite good to me!have a wonderful november!

Flat Creek Farm said...

I'll have to check out that turnip kraut recipe. I don't have enough for kraut this year, me thinks? But it sounds yummy! We like them fried (like potatoes), w/ onions also. -Tammy

StitchinByTheLake said...

I bet I drove over that river coming home Saturday! Water, water everywhere - especially bad in Arkansas. Rivers were out of their banks and ditches were overflowing. Fields had water standing all across them and even one lane of the highway was closed. I was sure glad the sun was shining on me! blessings, marlene

Becky said...

Wow! SOunds like things were pretty productive at your place today! I didn't accomplish near that much.