Sunday, December 2, 2007

From Very warm to really cold!

Saturday morning we were up early. BT had to be at work by 8:00 for some computer work and I had to be over to Jeremy and Lori's before 7:30. She had a picture appointment and I was to take the boys home and watch them.

Back at the house by 7:45, we had breakfast and I got ready to take the boys to town. We went to The Miller Performing Arts Center to see "The Christmas Story".
Hhumorist Jean Shepherd's memoir of growing up in the midwest of the 1940s follows 9 year old Ralphie Parker in his quest to get a genuine Red Ryder BB gun under the tree for Christmas. Ralphie pleads his case before his mother, his teacher and even Santa Claus himself, at Goldblatt's Department Store. The consistent response: "You'll shoot your eye out." All the elements from the beloved motion picture are here, including the family's temperamental exploding furnace; Scut Farkas, the school bully; the boy's experiment with a wet tongue on a cold lamppost; the Little Orphan Annie decoder pin; Ralphie's father winning a lamp shaped like a woman's leg in a net stocking; Ralphie's fantasy scenarios and more. A Christmas Story has become a theatrical holiday favorite.

As we walked into the theater, the boys carrying their booster seats, Brady was excited to ride the escalator again as he had done last year. Finding our seats was no problem for Brady, an old pro since this was his second visit there. As we sat in Row G, he asked what instruments were they going to play. I got out the playbill and saw no musicians names. It seems they were using canned music, which Brady wasn't as excited about. It was a long production, with a 15 intermission, I texted Lori and told her it shouldn't be too much longer. The Christmas Parade was to start at 2:00 and we were hoping for a quick lunch and then the parade.

It was over just 20 minutes before the parade was scheduled to start when we walked out. 65 degrees would have made watch the parade really nice, but potty breaks and lunch called us first and then it was just too late. We met Lori at El Jimado and after that decided to head home. I stopped by Hobby Lobby for some fabric to no avail.

But I have to tell you about the conversation in the car going to the restaurant. I asked Brady what did Ralphie want for Christmas?" Brady said a BB gun and so do I. Alex piped up in the back seat, NO Brady you'll shoot your eye out! I thought we would die laughing.

I played phone tag with BT at this office and Eric and Kathy, as they had invited us out for dinner. At 6:30 they picked me up and we headed to town. BT pulled into the parking lot at San Cruz, just as we were walking into the building. After a great dinner and Margaritas, BT was ready for his easy chair. It had been a very stressful day at the office.

Sunday morning it was 66 degrees when I went for the newspaper, but the showed a fast moving storm coming our way. About 10, I let Bentley out as I knew otherwise he would be stuck in his pen in the rain. He had no sooner come into the garage when the rain came intensely. Within an hour the temperature had fallen 19 degrees. By days end it was in the low 30's.

I worked on Christmas cards and quilt patterns most of the afternoon. BT forged me a door knocker for the Three Rivers Christmas Auction.

I don't know where this weekend went but it flew by.

9:30 29 degrees.

No comments: