Monday, March 23, 2009

My turn

First of all I want to thank Brady for his help with the post from yesterday. I didn't post the pictures I took on Sunday. I wanted to give him all the limelight.

We had the boys most of the day. It was a beautiful day to be outside, as you can tell by the pictures from our backyard.









Brady peeking through the big rock










The guys












King of the rock










The other King


I've had several inquires on the shavings. This is a recipe I got from BT's grandmother. She had all her recipes memorized. And she could tell them to you in German as well as English.

To make Shavings, here is what I do: Take 3 or 4 or more eggs and beat well by hand with a fork. Beat in a pinch of salt and 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk. Beat some more. Start adding flour, about a cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add enough flour until it's a soft dough that you can roll out. Keep your counter floured well. Roll very thin. Thinner than pie crust.

I then use a pizza cutter to cut into rectangles about 2 by 3 inches. Make two or three slits in each one.

Fry immediately in hot oil (I use Canola). Drain and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon that you have put in a old shaker. Enjoy!

Let me know if you try them.

Why are they called shavings? Grandma thought they looked like the wood shavings on the floor of Grandpa's carpenter shop.

As for the recipe for my pepper jelly, it's sure-jell. Take the jelly and put it over a block of creme cheese. Spread on crackers. Oh gosh is that good! If you're close by I'm up to a few more trades! I wish Sara was closer, she has items she is willing to trade. Maybe even maple syrup!

I hope we all stay safe tonight. Strong storms are predicted.
70 degrees 10PM

3 comments:

BarbCarol said...

The storms missed us last night. How did you fare? I wish I had little ones to make Shavings for - though my teenagers would surely devour them. It's just not the same as when they were little.

Jackie said...

I'm going to have to try the shavings...my kids would love those. The views from your yard are amazing...how lucky!

Sara said...

Fried dough covered in cinnamon and sugar: how can you go wrong! "Shavings" is a clever name, too.
The thought of the cream cheese and pepper jelly may encourage me to try, try again to make it. It tasted good last time, just no 'jell' to it.
Mark shoots muzzle loaders, too! He's a member of the club that dresses up for their blanket shoots! Though he only dresses up as far as his bag and horn. Our neighbor made him both, with very nice scrimshaw of his name on the horn (which was supplied by a friend-boy did it stink!) My uncle built a beautiful muzzle loader not too long ago, too.
AND those rocks look like home. :)
OH! And Oh, Brother was on this weekend. Thought of you then, too!
Too funny! I love the twin thing!
How 'bout some honey when we extract this Spring?