Saturday, July 4, 2009

An awesome auction purchase!


July 4th!

Today we went to Linn, Missouri to an auction. What interested us on the sale bill was an oak sideboard. It turned out to be oak veneer and with damage at that. We looked at most everything before the auction started.

There were things both inside the big metal building and outside under porches. One of the first things we bought was a Wagner deep cast iron skillet. It features a lid that doubles as another skillet. It is for the son, he has looked for one for a long time. A great buy at $9.00.

However the prize purchase today was this German diecut embossed advertisement. It is 3D. It is 14 inches tall and 19 inches wide. It came from the general store at Osage Bluff Missouri. It was a battle I fought in the bidding war and won. Before the bidding was done the crowd was turning their heads from me to the gentlemen bidding against me. 3 digits later I won.
And even though it wasn't lady like, I gave yell and raised my arm in victory!


Afterwards we had people coming up and asking all about it. Where was Osage Bluff? What is this thing? Were we related to the Hirschmans? To read more about this general store go here.

We will add this to our collection of Osage Bluff items, such as picnic tickets dated August 29, 1905, an anvil from the Osage Bluff wagon factory, along with an antique laundry coal stove and an arbor press.
Side view

I also purchased 5 pieces of occupied japan pieces for a total of $5.00. Here are 4 of them. Tammy if you think the toothpick holder is a donkey . . .it's yours. IDK could be a white deer too.


This glass Collyrium bottle with an eye cup was a great buy at $2.00 The fifth piece of occupied japan is this moriage vase. It is 2 1/2 inches tall. It matches the demitasse cup and saucer I got this week from my Mom.



A fun day in the country was had by all. It's unusual for me to come home with the loot, it's usually the blacksmith buying, but it was fun!

6 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Patti,
It looks like you had a fun day winning the bid on all those items. I agree it's about time you got to bring home some items and the blacksmith was empty handed. :)

Flat Creek Farm said...

Patti, we both would have loved to witness your Victory dance at the auction. What wonderful loot, but that Osage Bluff item is the cat's meow. Hmmm, trying to 'figger' out if that's a donkey or a deer. Very cute!

Chanda said...

Looks like you had a great time at the auction. Since I now know that you collect Osage Bluff items, I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya at the garage sales, you never know what you might find.

I am using the punched tin tile to make a tall chair rail around my tub and sink area. I once saw a picture of the Trading Spaces, and now the home improvment show guy named Ty Pennington of his bath room in his home and he had used real barn tin around his old fashioned tub. It looked awesome, but alittle macho for me, but I never forgot that look. We are still waiting for the new tub delivery, I hope I hear good news tomorrow when I call, hope its on its way soon. See Ya,
Shanda

Sara said...

Victorious, I see! I have to admit I felt a little vicarious thrill for your bidding war and when I saw that "Osage Bluff" printed on the advertisement. Too cool. I love to find old local things (or even just things that say Hickory.)

Treasure!

StitchinByTheLake said...

My sister went to that auction today too! Congratulations on your great buys - what a fun day. blessings, marlene

Tipper said...

Wow-looks like you scored!

Glad to see you had a good 4th too.