Friday, May 21, 2010

It's a Hankie kind of day

The other day on PBS I saw the Sewing with Nancy show.
She had Amy Barickman making a handkerchief blouse.
I immediately knew I was going to make one.
It took me two tries in our little podunk town to find a pattern.
Actually on my second trip to Hobby Lobby,
I asked the clerk to open the box just delivered
from simplicity, to see if pattern #3842 was in there.
BINGO, there was one!
One was all I needed.
If you order the book Hankie Style, I'm pretty sure there is a little different pattern included.
I just winged it!
It took me 11 hankies and a lot of flat felt seams.

I pieced the hankies so I could also use the borders at the bottom and partially up the sides.

Notice the sleeves? It called for hemming, but I hated to waste the borders.



I think it looks pretty darn cute over a tank top.


I'm now on a mission for blue and violet hankies for my next one.


15 comments:

Annie Jones said...

That's so cute! I may have to run out to Hancock and see if the have that pattern. :)

Carolina said...

That is so cute. I don't think I could find hankies in this town. I wish we had a Hobby Lobby near by.

Janet said...

What a cute idea! It turned out great and looks nice on you too! I've got several hankies around here that belonged to my mom and grandma-in-law but I'm not sure if I'd want to cut them up for a top. Something to think about tho......

Unknown said...

That is just so clever and feminine looking. Well, as you know there will be not patterns to be found in my little town either. So need to get out of town on a little trip.

Brandi said...

That is really, really cute!

Flat Creek Farm said...

Patti, that is TOO cute! I may have to investigate this project. It looks *perfect* on you too. Love it!

Now.. podunk? Really? Heck, you guys are big city in our eyes :) You did great! -T

Lori said...

What a cute idea!

Anonymous said...

This is the CUTEST THING I have EVER seen!!!!!!!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Missouri Gal said...

OMG!!! Too cute. Do they come in my size? Extra Plump!

Sara said...

Beautiful!! Really really cute! Love your choice of hankies.

Sarah and Jack said...

Love it.

Anonymous said...

I saw your comment from a VTT post had to come over and see what you did with the hankies! How adorable!

Gmama Jane said...

Oh my goodness, this is the cutest thing I've ever seen. I need some more hankies to make one to fit me but I have to have one!!!! Thanks for the tip!
Blessings

Gmama Jane

Dar said...

What a clever idea for hankies. I've saved some from my mom's things, but didn't know what I wanted to do with them. Maybe if I find a cute pattern like yours, I may try it. Love the way yours turned out.

Cheryl said...

What a beautiful use for your vintage hankies! Visiting from Kimberly at Camp and Cottage Living...