Saturday, August 7, 2010

Auction tomorrow

It's been a busy week. Tomorrow will be the worst, or so I think.

My mother has been in assisted living now for over a year. Thank you God for letting her like her surroundings. The last house her and my late father shared for almost 40 years has been sold. That closing is Tuesday, the last big hurdle to get over.

Wednesday evening, the hottest day of the year so far, we packed the contents of the barn and house up. All of the contents of the house had already been picked over and packed up in previous weeks. My sister and I had seen to that. However the barn was left to tackle.

Thanks to the blacksmith, the son, the oldest grandson (who is 9 now), a nephew and a great nephew (yes I'm old enough for some of them too), we got the hot job finished. No one had a dry stitch of clothing on. My sister and I were included.


The old shed was next. Many spiders went scurrying away.


This is the truck we filled to the brim. Seriously, it was packed to the ceiling.

I only wished I had taken a picture of that. However, exhaustion had already set in by then.



A few things did not fit, and a few things we didn't want to include. So my sister, being the pyromaniac she is, took care of that! (She inherited this trait!)


On Sunday, we have to be at the auction house at 6:30 AM to unload and unpack boxes. My brother and his wife from California flew in to help. Cousins from across the state will be there, as well as other relatives and in-laws.

So if you are close to Jefferson City join us for auction day.
Here is a link to the sale. Mom's auction

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bernie said...

Sad to see your parents belongings have to be packed up and auctioned off....I'm sure our kids will do it with our things as well. Good Luck tomorrow......:-) Hugs

Rural Rambler said...

Patti good luck today. Lots of hard work for all of you, a hard thing in all ways to do. Hopefully the weather will be good to you and give you some clouds :) We have to go to Fulton today to The Mama's.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I know how difficult that task is Patti, and am already thinking about what it will be like for my own children when I pass away. I hope that in the next few years I make it through the process of simplifying my house so that it won't be so daunting when I'm ready to move to assisted living. Best wishes for the auction. blessings, marlene

Diana LaMarre said...

How sad it must be to have to do this. It's wonderful that so many family members are there to help.

Good luck with everything!

Deanna said...

Your mom is in the best place for her, as we both know. It is the best retirement home I've ever experienced.

It was good to see you at the sale today. Wow it was hot out there! Good thing the "woman things" as the Blacksmith referred to it, was inside in the AC. If we had stayed, those dishes would have tempted me way to much!

Unknown said...

I hope everything went well. It's certainly not an easy thing to do. I remember doing this with my grandmother's house and I found it very difficult.

Take care ~Andrea~

Flat Creek Farm said...

I'm glad this hurdle is behind you. I do wish, however, that we could have come to the auction. Hope you're staying cool and resting up after all that!! Hugs, Tammy & PW