Thursday, September 30, 2010

Goetz Auction

The blacksmith and I went to another auction on Sunday. We spent the entire day there, if you call 10 AM to 5 PM a day. I spent 50 cents on a cup of coffee. He spent that plus $17.50 for a vise.

Here are two things that caught my eye. The cedar chest was neat, had 2 small pieces of the wood trim missing. I didn't want the chest, but I did appreciate it.


Now this oak basket was a different story. It was big, probably 48 inches long and 24 inches wide. If I had been able to tell if it was hand made not a mass factory production I might have bid higher. I went to $60 and it sold for $65. However every time I bid, she raised me by $5, so who knows how high her goal was.
Just another fun day in the country!

7 comments:

Deanna said...

That basket is cool. I know what you mean about bidding and they oneup you (or five up). You came away from this auction cheap. I still can't believe you had the energy to go to an auction after the Old Munichberg day.

Diana LaMarre said...

Sorry that you didn't get any new treasures--there is always next time. It sounds like a fun day anyway.

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love your blog and the blacksmith blog! I had to follow both! My great grandfather was a blacksmith and I'd love to learn how someday.

Brandi said...

First, um, WOW... THAT is a spider web!!! Eeeek, I wouldn't want to meet the creepy crawly that made that!

I'm also drooling over Deanna's serger. *sigh* I've never used one, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming about getting one. :)

Sounds like the action was fun. The basket was really awesome.

BTW, any news on baby Lane?

Have a great weekend!

Brandi said...

Grrr... auction. ;)

Anonymous said...

That is a very pretty hope chest, I remember going to auctions with the grownups when I was little. Thanks for the memories :o)

Tipper said...

Love the basket-and the chest. You have the best auctions out there-nothing like that here.