Sunday, January 1, 2012

New beginnings

Welcome 2012. It's here. It came before we might have been ready, but like it or not, we can't change it.

My day started at 6:15 AM when I kicked gently rolled the husband out of bed. He had to meet Tom, a fellow blacksmith, for trip to a New Year's day "Headache Hammer-in".  They would end up in Washington, Missouri at Washington Forge. I stayed in bed for about another hour and then decided it was time to get busy. All the Christmas decorations had been put away the day before. It was time now to do some laundry, dusting, scrubbing, vacuuming, and some cooking. I did sneak some sewing time in after the pork loin was roasting, the blackberry crisp was made, and the hot rolls were rising. 

The one thing I really missed today was the New Year's day parade. So tomorrow when it's officially on TV, will it be called "the day after New year's day parade"?  I will be glued to the TV to watch it then!

The blacksmiths came rolling back in about 4:30.  Tom would be eating dinner with us. 

Tom is all alone now.  He lost his wife Phyllis, the love of his life, just two weeks ago today. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor in September, had surgery, and a few weeks later had surgery again for a second tumor. Three  weeks later a third tumor came back and surgery was not an option. 

Phyllis was the sweetest lady. She was a bee keeper, a hospice volunteer, and a quilter.


She also volunteered at our local Runge Conservation Center. Here you can see her on the right coming to see my grand kids. She was the volunteer assigned to help us on a cold, windy, April day when we had a show there. 




This is one of Phyllis' unfinished quilts. Tom bought it along to see if I would be willing to finish it for him. Of course I would.  I can't say no to a friend. I just hope I can do it justice and make the tiny stitches that she made. 


So as we start this new year of 2012, I pray we all have our health, our happiness, and our family. It will be a new start for Tom, not an easy one. A new start for us, as we lost a friend. 


Rest in peace Phyllis.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year!!

I am sorry for the sudden loss of your friend.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I'm sorry about your friend. It's wonderful that you can finish the quilt she started for her husband to have. I bet it will be stitched with the greatest care and love.
Wishing you and your family the happiest and best year ever!

Marge said...

Happy New Year my friend!

Oh, those #&#!$#& brain tumors! That's what took my mom 3 years ago. I am so glad you are able to finish that quilt for your friend.

All the best of God's blessing to you in 2012!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Patti, and for your friend Tom. The days ahead will be dark and lonely but there is light at the end, thank goodness. Your blackberry crisp sounds wonderful. I made banana nut bread yesterday, and then nearly made myself sick eating it! blessings, marlene

Deanna said...

You are giving Tom the best gift possible. The gift of friendship and a forever memory of her last quilt.

We've had a quiet start to 2012. Hopefully that is a good sign.

Happy New Year to you and BT!

Diana LaMarre said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. What an honor it must be to be asked to finish Phyllis' quilt. I know you will do a wonderful job.

Unknown said...

Oh Patti, such a sad start to the year. My heart goes out to Tom. I'm sure you will do that beautiful quilt justice as you help your friend through these days.

Hugs,
Andrea