Saturday, May 19, 2012

Bitter sweet

I've written before about Hope, Missouri.  The  post are here: October 19, #1  and post #2Today we made what will be our last trip to Hope, at least to the Wilkinson farm.

We lost both Phyllis and her husband Joe recently, just weeks apart. 

The family chose to offer Joe's blacksmithing equipment for sale to fellow members of the Blacksmith Association of Missouri.  We arrived shortly before 9 AM and many familiar faces greeted us.  It was to be a tag sale, or best offer sale.  We didn't take a truck, or a trailer, as we only wanted some small memories of two great people.

I took no pictures there today.  I chose to remember the house and shop as it was in happier times. I met daughter Jane and son Phillip right away.  I have only visited with them via email, but remember their parents talking about them.  Phyllis would always tell us how much Phillip enjoyed his job at the VA hospital. The teasing he gave and took from the nurses always made an interesting story.  Jane's daughter Becky (who I wrote about in the previous post) was at a wedding.  I had hoped to visit with her.  I know we would have cried together, but no fear Becky, your Mother and I did it for you.  I also met their son, the chef. His mother talked about all his cooking adventures.  He tells me that now he has his own BBQ sauce and is marketing it.  I only wish I had gotten the name of it. 


Maybe this is another reason we didn't take a bigger vehicle.  The more room you have, the more you buy.  In this small space was a forge, tongs, fruit jars, some great bluegrass CD's, 3 shovels, a club aluminum cook pot, blacksmith books, and a Coleman cook stove. 


The jars sitting on the ledge are those that we bought today.  They will be great for more storage. 


Here's the unique little stove. You can use the top and the bottom as cook pots. 






I believe the neighbor has dibs on this. One shovel went to him too. 






My heart goes out to the Wilkinson family as they close up their parents place.  I've been there and done that. 


I'm sure Joe and Phyllis were happy today, looking down from heaven watching all the blacksmiths gathering at their former home purchasing various mementos to remember them by.

8 comments:

Val said...

Our prayers are with you all. We have lost a loved one a couple of weeks ago and it is sad for us too. Thank goodness that w have that hope to see them again.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for remembering our parent's. As the youngest child of both, Joe and Phyllis it touches my and my sibling's heart to have everyone take the time to share stories of our parents. We know they were valued, trusted and loved by this community and the vast array of friends they have. This really warms our hearts.

Matthew Wilkinson.... the BBQ Sauce "Chef"

www.sweetfiregrillebbq@aol.com

Doreen said...

A very sweet, touching post.....thank you for sharing. I do feel that I knew them, also. Memories are priceless! Blessings and hugs.....

StitchinByTheLake said...

I'm so sorry that you've lost these good friends. As I get older these losses seem to hurt even more than when I was younger. I use those blue jars for storage in my kitchen too - I know you'll love thinking of your friends every time you use one. blessings, marlene

Charade said...

I'm sure their children were warmed by the show of love from such good friends. I did a Google search on the Sweet Fire Grille, and I was surprised to see how many there are across the country. Maybe their son can provide a better link through your blog.

Flat Creek Farm said...

I'm sure they were happy too! Miss them also, and Phyllis could send the best, raciest, funniest emails ever. Glad you and BT found some good mementos to bring home!! -Tammy

Deanna said...

You have some sweet memories there. This had to be a very difficult day for each and every one of you.

Kevin Read said...

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of such dear friends. I am happy that you were able to take home a few items that will always help you to remember them and the good times that you had with them.

Kevin and Ruth
www.travelwithkevinandruth.com