Saturday, April 27, 2013

BAM quilt up for auction


Here's the latest quilt we have been working on.  Yes, "we". 

I had seen one similar to this a year ago and knew I wanted to make one as a fundraiser for our up coming blacksmith conference on
May 2 - 5. 

Several months ago, Hoffman Fabrics published a preview of their Bali Pops fabrics. The Red Hots line showed these yellow and red fabrics in Batiks. The only problem was, it wasn't coming out until March. 

I finally received it two weeks ago and immediately went to work. 

For you non-blacksmiths, you must understand that the cold iron starts out black and goes through various colors as the heat increases.  This piece represents these color changes. 




If you click on the picture it will enlarge. There you can see the Blacksmiths Association of Missouri (BAM) logo that my blacksmith cut out for me. I ironed Stitch Witchery on the back of the fabric. He did a reverse tracing of the logo and then cut it out with an Exacto knife. I carefully peeled the paper off and heat set the logo. 

I then even more carefully machine appliqued it. 

Below the anvil I embroidered Est. 1983. This is the 30th anniversary of the founding of the Blacksmith Association of Missouri group.

Together the blacksmith and I came up with the idea of a making a pair of forge tongs for the hanger.  The tongs are really neat, holding the hanger eye between the jaws with the reins of the tongs bent out to hold the quilt. 

This will be displayed in the gallery for the conference. We are then going to donate it to the auction on Saturday night. We are keeping our fingers crossed, that it will bring a tidy sum of money. 

5 comments:

Flat Creek Farm said...

THat is one gorgeous quilt, and I cannot think of a better way to express "BAM" in fabric. It's perfect in every way!! Great job, you two. We might see it in person on Friday...? hoping :) -T

Lise said...

Wow, that is a gorgeous piece of work, congrats to your collaborative effort! Seems to me it should be hanging somewhere in your home...maybe you need to make another one, lol:)

jerilanders said...

It is fabulous! What a team you make. So you are going to John Campbell? I am jealous! What classes are you taking?

Deanna said...

Patti, that quilt is beautiful. You and The Blacksmith did quite the job on the applique. I hope it brings lots of money for the organization!

Betty said...

This turned out very nice Patty. I remember helping you pick some of the fabrics. Hope you got a good price for it.