Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Oklahoma OK


On Friday morning we headed west. It was about 480 miles to Sulphur, Oklahoma where we would be attending the Saltfork Blacksmith Conference. 

We arrived at Country Days RV park right at dark. That's never good when you have to  set up camp. Debby our host had given us the gate code and we proceeded to our lot. After set ting up I went to open the fantastic fan vent on top.  It felt different cranking it up, so I cranked it down. Or so I thought. We discovered it parted ways with the Casita some where along the road.


We had needed to cover it regardless. The forecast was no rain that night.  We found a plastic Walmart bag and the RV duct tape Lizzie our 10 year old granddaughter had given us. It worked in a pinch. No ladder to the top, no problem, we're a team. The blacksmith stepped from the bumper to the spare tire, and then I gave him a shove, I mean a boost!

Wouldn't you know it after we got in bed later that night, it did rain. The plastic and tape worked.


The conference started bright and early the next morning at 8 AM, we just didn't make it there quite that early.

Peter Ross a blacksmith, who does beautiful historical work, was one of the demonstrators. It was not the first time we have seen Peter work. However it was the first time I had spare time to watch the demonstrators. I always love watching a craftsman who is left handed! 




Then there was Ken and Marylou from Ken's Custom Iron.  This husband and wife team are so much fun to watch. You can feel the love and see the love between them. They work together perfectly! And man, or should I say woman, can she swing a hammer!



My friend Mark, talks with Oklahoman Ed McCormick. The works this man has done are amazing! His niece put together a book of his works. 




This pocket knife was BIG. probably 24 inches long and worked just like a small pocketknife!



Ken and Bernie are caught sitting down for a chat.



Mark, Bernie and Ken are discussing the shape of anvils. As the saying goes, you're never too old to learn. Right Ken??





Marylou served dual purpose for the conference, sales woman and demonstrator.



The Saltfork group prepared the best meals ever!  3 meals Saturday and 2 on Sunday. All could be had for a donation. One of my favorite things Saturday night was the smoked bologna!


Besides smoked bologna, they had smoked ribs, brisket, ham, and pulled pork. The dessert was always Mrs. Fields pecan pies. If you went away hungry it was your own fault.



There were not many vendors, in fact only three the first day and two the second day.



There were a few more tailgaters, including me. I sold Osage Bluff tongs along with jewelry and tee shirts for the BAM boutique.



My luck wasn't so good as when I attended this conference 6 years ago. I bought a few more tickets this time but  did not win their tool box.



Look at this piece of coal. Does anyone have a stocking that big???



On Sunday evening after break down, a room was reserved in town at a Mexican restaurant for those who wanted dinner. 

I'm hoping we convinced several of their guys to come to our conference.



1 comment:

Deanna said...

I love fried balogna! I can only imagine smoked balogna. Yum. You and Bernie are quite creative when things go wrong. So glad Lizzie took care of the tape for you. Sounds like you had a pretty great conference.