Sunday, January 19, 2020

Yes, I still quilt

I sew almost everyday, or quilt, or do something with my hands. I don't like idle hands.





I made this, over sized baby quilt for my sister in law to give as a gift to baby Archie, who was born premature. It turned out too big.  I found the pattern as a picture on pinterest.  I could tell it was made up of all squares. Silly me didn't calculate the final size. But it is, what it is.  He will probably be able to use it on a twin bed when he gets older. 



I pieced this quilt for our Casita, 16 ft fiberglass camper. When the  hubby remodeled the Casita, he picked out new fabric for curtains and I did a matching quilt. 


My friend Cindy of Cindy's Quilting did the machine quilting for me. I think she did a wonderful job picking out a quilting pattern to match the southwest theme. 

She used a cotton and polyester batting which I really like. I like a heavy quilt and not a lot of fluff! 





The center panel was donated to the quilting ladies at church. I took the panel and added borders. We then hand quilted it. I did the binding. It will be auctioned at the August picnic!



This book is copyrighted 2006 so sometime around then I purchased it. I started on the 24 blocks, and got bored. Several times I'd pull it out, sew a little and tuck it back away. Last January it was a project I was going to finish come hell or high water. 




It's twin bed size. I hand quilted it just before Christmas. I love Sun bonnet Sue and Overall Sam!





We have tried to find a sewing machine base for a long time. Our blacksmith friend Mike Gentzsch gave us this one, this past July.

Last week, my blacksmith cleaned the frame up, and extended it about 12 inches. I worked on the gold leafing. 



The blacksmith added a live edge red elm board that we purchased from a Mennonite man at Jacob's Cave Flea market. We decided a shiny polyurethane finish would match the glossy black paint. It is beautiful. I asked for it to be made to use in a spare bedroom for displaying sewing machines.

However when it was finished we both decided it was just to pretty to hide upstairs. So it will reside in our living room. After curing a few days I will add the machines. Of course not all 20, 21, or whatever the count is will fit!

I am currently working on hand quilting a Christmas quilt I put together last year. It's going pretty good.  More on that later.

God is Good  

5 comments:

KAWright said...

Beautiful quilts! Each one a stand-out. Your love of quilting shows in each quilt.❤️ My Mom loved Sunbonnet Sue & Sam, too.

RitaRab said...

Idle hands are the devils work, I don’t think you’ll be expecting a visit from him anytime soon. Fabulous job and I get the pleasure of seeing them all in person.

Lise said...

So happy you are well! Your quilts are obviously made with love. Sending hugs your way!

Down On The Farm said...

You are just so talented!!! And that stand is GORGEOUS!!!

Val said...

You are one blessed lady and I am proud you are still blogging. I am trying. just can't remember everything. Hopefully Ill catch on. Love your quilts and that sewing machine stand.