Saturday, April 8, 2023

She’s back. . .

Our friend Pattie came back for another visit. I think she likes us?!?! 

We first met her years ago while attending John C. Campbell Folk School, in Brasstown, North Carolina.

On Thursday, we took her to Jacob’s Cave Flea Market.


Of course, I borrowed this picture, but I wanted to show you, this place is
H-U-G-E.  The three of us didn’t find much we couldn't live without. But at least we each got a few things. We stopped at the Pioneer Restaurant for Supper. 



On Friday, after the Blacksmith left us unattended for 3 days, we got busy. You see Pattie is a Master basket weaver. She wanted to teach me how to weave on an antler. 


The blacksmith gave us lots of choices on antlers.


By 5 o’clock I made it this far. Dinner was calling. We joined my DIL Lori, granddaughter Lizzie, and grandson Brady, for Mexican!


I finished it after dinner but waited for sunshine to take this picture Sunday .


While I was weaving, she was piecing this quilt for her oldest grandson. Funny, the Pattie’s turned the tables. In the end I showed her how to add length to it. Unfortunately, she didn’t finish before she left. We were just too busy. 



On Sunday morning, we went to my favorite antique store, J Street Antiques. I had seen a Facebook post from the vintage clothier there, showing bib overalls! Surprisingly they were my size. I need them for an upcoming memorial dinner. We pay tribute to our late friend Phil, who almost always wore bibs.

After visiting J Street, I took her to my friend Marla’s antique store, Cotter Pin Cellar. Before we left, Marla and Pattie figured out they had a mutual friend in Mexico, Missouri. Small world. 

We then went across the street to The Art Bazaar. It was just like visiting the gift shop at the Folks School. 

It was time to scoot home, Pattie was fixing BBQ Ribs for supper for us, Jeremy and Lori, Brady and Lizzie. Unfortunately, Alex had to work. The ribs and baked potatoes were delicious! 

Lori brought her loaded peanut butter brownies. You too can have some. Brownie Points by Lori



These are a couple of Pattie’s recent baskets. She tells me these are cat-head baskets. When you turn them over, the points on the bottom, resemble cats ears. She wove them using dyed ash splint for the spokes and natural ash for the weavers. She wove the larger one first, and then challenged herself to make the same basket on a much smaller level. They are started on a mold, and then finished off- mold. 

It like holding a kleenex, they things are so light weight.


This pretty much sums up our weeklong fun. We are pooped! But man did we have a fun filled week. Until next time sister!
 

No comments: