Sunday, February 12, 2012

Another auction, more goodies

We love going to an auction every chance we get. However this Saturday it was a 2 auction day!  The first one was about 8 miles from the house. It started at 10:30. I'll have to admit, there was absolutely nothing there I cared about bringing home. But the blacksmith got a huge box of hammers, screw drivers and miscellaneous for a mere $12.

We had a great time visiting with some old friends that we don't see nearly enough. 

It was back home before noon where together we made an omelet and sour dough English muffins for a little brunch. We then had time to do a few chores like checking emails and laundry. (You guess who did what)

At 2:45 we left for auction #2. It was in the next county about 25 miles away.


I saw this children's kitchen set. It looked like it had many hours of hard play. I don't know what it sold for, we left 5 1/2 hours later and it still hadn't come up for sale.







These 2 chest were the last things I bought. They were $15 each. And I tell you they were loaded!!!  More on that later.



The blacksmith bought this dish pan full of items. I figured it was for some tool in the bottom, so when he handed it to me, I said great, your Mom needs a bed lamp. He said no way, I bought that for me. 



He bought this box too. Included it it was an antique wrench. He found one on E Bay like it for $19.  He paid $12.50 for the whole box!



I found another wagner skillet. A number 5 with a smoke ring for $5.  A bargain!!




NOW onto the contents of the dressers.

After sorting through all the goodies, I sorted out this pile of cotton fabric for me. 



This pile will be for the Lutheran re-sell it shop. It includes patterns, plastic canvas projects, needle cross stitch kits, crochet thread, patterns and lots of fabric I weeded out.



The donation box grew, it included hoops, and a pair of electric pinking sheers. 


This night light was in there too. It has my sister's name all over it!


I picked out a few of the treasure finds to show you.  T.G.& Y. buttons!!! I worked there from 1968-1970.


Who doesn't remember Woolworth's??? A package of needles for 19 cents. Now that is going back a while!


There were lots of packages of old trims, including the polka dot on with Patt on it. They just forgot the i.



Sewing tape?  Who knew there was such a thing?



A pressing ham. That reminds me I need to add ham to my shopping list.



A nice size stack of felt. I've been wanting to do some penny rugs.



A pair of brand new garden gloves.  Why they were in this lady's sewing stuff I have no clue.

But the sweetest thing I found was a 6 page hand written love letter. A world war II love story. 

The $55 we spent was our Saturday entertainment, plus dinner out.  Such an easy way to pacify a blacksmith and a quilter!

9 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

wow, what a haul! It must have been such fun going through all those dresser drawers.

I have that same ironing ham. :)

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

I love old sewing notions. Reminds me of old stuff my mom kept, although I don't know where SHE got it in the first place.

That sewing tape would be a real help to my grown daughter, who's just now learning to sew.

And yes, that letter was sweet. That guy had it bad! LOL.

Unknown said...

Looks like a fun and profitable day.
I love auctions.

Anke said...

What a great find! You must have had so much fun going through your treasures.

Barb said...

WOW!!!! Now are we going to find "Pickers" at your door? Great finds...

GerryART said...

Wow! ! ! !
This is a WINNER ! ! !
hugs
Gerry
plus a sock of hammers.

Deanna said...

Loved TG&Y and Woolworths! I've never heard of a pressing ham.

You (and the Blacksmith) made quite a haul at that second auction.

And a love letter... just in time for Valentine's day!

Flat Creek Farm said...

What a wonderful load of treasures!! I remember quite well our TG&Y in Moberly. We need to do an auction on occasion. I forget how fun they can be. -Tammy

Teresa said...

WOW!!! What a treasure of goodies you have there. I remember TGandY.
It did take me a minute to register in my brain.

But HEY What the heck is a pressing ham? That is something I've never heard of.