Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Canning vegetable soup minus one.

I love to can. I follow Canning Granny and I've used several of her recipes. After canning oranges and grapefruits from her recipes, I knew they were true, tried, and tasted. 

So we decided to try her grab and go vegetable soup, with a couple of exceptions. 



Granny used hamburger, the blacksmith wanted chunks of beef. I used a 2 1/2 lb chuck roast. I cubed it,  placed it in my 4 qt. pressure canner, added 4 cups water, salt, and pepper. It was then pressured cooked for 12 minutes. That produced nice, tender beef. 



I used 4 potatoes, 2 stalks of celery, 2 carrots, 1 onion, and about a quarter head of cabbage. I used the strained beef broth and brought this to a boil. It then cooked about 10 minutes. 


After that I added 2 pints of tomato juice, 1/2 c quick cooked barley, a package of our frozen corn and a tablespoon of beef soup seasonings, and a little more water (I just didn't measure it). I waited for the entire pot to come back to a boil.  It was then ladled  into pint jars. 



It was  pressure cooked in the big canner for 75 minutes at 15 pounds of pressure. 


We now have 9 pints of beautiful vegetable soup. 


MINUS the fresh green beans that I spent 47 cents on. They were hiding in the refrigerator!


9 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

I would love to have a jar of that for dinner tonight. Looks good!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love to can soup - thanks for the link to Canning Granny. I've visited her before but lost the website. blessings, marlene

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

That looks wonderful! I would like to try canning the steak soup I make. :)

Deanna said...

Those sneaky beans! lol. That sounds like something I would do. I'm going to have to start following canning granny. That soup sounds like my cuppa tea.

Love soup!

Down On The Farm said...

Looks delicious! I'm gonna give that a try this year. I've never canned soup before, but I think we can do it :0! Enjoy the day!

Teresa said...

We love soups around here. That would be a great quick meal. Yum

Thanks for the link to canning granny.

Flat Creek Farm said...

Yummy... that sounds good for supper tonight! I think now, more than ever, I have the canning bug. I also think I owe it all to you and Canning Granny. Thanks for the inspiration :) -Tammy

GerryART said...

Oops, I off to raid the ice box for some leftovers, all of a sudden I'm hungry.
hugs
Gerry

Judy D in WA said...

I love having home canned soup in the pantry. Quick, easy & good for you. As much work as canning anything is, I love to do it. Thanks for the link, I can't wait to explore her blog.