Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A big THANKS to my Blacksmith!

Sometime last fall the blacksmith started making a sewing table for me. He forged all the legs and other metal parts. It was then that his helper (not me, his bff) had back surgery and couldn't assist him. The legs sat for a while. 

But then come February help arrived and the legs were riveted and tenoned together. (bff recovered from surgery)


Then the blacksmith called a friend, Tim about a wood working tool.  Long story short, Tim gave him red oak lumber milled from his property for the table top. Tim's tree farm is just about 4 miles from us as a crow flies.

The wood was cut, glued up, and clamped. It then sat for a week with the stain on it, while we went visiting in Oklahoma. 

Within a half hour of arriving home from Oklahoma, the first coat of polyurethane went on. He applied two more coats over the next few days. 



Voila'!  Here is the finished product. It measures 5 feet 6 inches long and 22 inches wide. 


It is positioned beside my "regular" sewing machine. It easily holds 3 machines. 


Here is my 1953 Elna and my Bernina Deco embroidery machine.

I love my table!  I also love my Blacksmith for making me the table!!


I just couldn't resist snapping a picture of him sewing his work gloves. 

11 comments:

Dora, the Quilter said...

Lovely table!
And I recognized the Elna "Grasshopper" before I even scrolled down enough to read what it is.
Happy for you. Makes sewing even more fun!

Dar said...

What a beautiful table. You are very fortunate to have a blacksmith right there in your house and he's so eager to help you in your hobby.

Janna and Mike said...

Love the table and love your green grasshopper!

Anke said...

Awesome table and awesome hubby!! :-)

Flat Creek Farm said...

Sew, BT, sew!! That table is just fabulous. We are blessed by our Blacksmiths, huh? -T

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

That's a great table and a pretty handy husband you have there!

Deanna said...

Aren't we lucky ladies to have such wonderful husbands? Your sewing area and table is awesome!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

You have such a handy hubby! That's a beautiful table. Great job, Mr. Blacksmith!

Diana LaMarre said...

You are getting quite an assortment of machines.

Beautiful table--but then everything the blacksmith makes you is gorgeous!

Lise said...

Your table is awesome and one of a kind! I can't wait to see the creations that come from it!

GerryART said...

Three cheers for Hubby !!!!
Fantastic table!
Hugs